ZOOM tips and suggestions: [adapted from ISO of SAA zoom tips and suggestions]
Mute / Un-Mute:
- Please mute your microphone when a member is sharing. The moderator may sometimes eliminate background noise by muting participants. This is to help maintain the safety and flow of the meeting and is not meant to be offensive. Participants can easily unmute themselves when they would like to share by pressing Star-6 (*6).
- If you’re not on video but instead are calling into the meeting with a phone and would like to signal that you would like to speak next, Press Star-9 (*9) to “raise your hand.”
During Zoom video meetings:
- Screen sharing: Open up only relevant documents before the call and share only those during the meeting. Remember that whatever is open on your desktop will be viewed by everyone.
- Think about your actions on camera. Movements are distracting to others and can be disruptive to the speaker. Try to stay still and be attentive.
- Dress for your Zoom meeting the way you would for an in-person meeting. Please be respectful.
- Your environment – Participate in meetings from a quiet, indoor location to control ambient noise. Please refrain from sitting directly in front or beside a very bright light source. Experiment with moving lamps and your camera until you can see your brightly-lit face on the screen.
- Think about the background behind you. Is it appropriate for viewing?
- Practice speaking to the camera and not the screen. Our tendency is to look at the person on the screen, but it’s preferable to look at the camera when you speak so the audience feels like you’re talking directly to them.
- Bandwidth and signal – If you are wireless, try to remain close to the wireless router. When you have the option, choose wired (instead of wireless) for video conferencing.
Viewing options – Gallery or Speaker View:
In top right corner of screen, selecting ‘Gallery View’ will display everyone in same-size images. ‘Speaker View’ highlights whoever is speaking in large center screen.
You may send a private message (PM) to the host by clicking on ‘manage participants’ & selecting the host from the list of members who are attending.